San Augustine YRE
March 24, 2012

San Augustine, Cradle of Texas Independence, is at the junction of US-96 and TX-21 just 32 miles east of Nacogdoches, TX which also has a YRE. It is 73 miles west of Natchitoches, La which also has a YRE. All three are on the Old San Antonio Road (El Camino Real de los Tejas).

Memorial to the Space Shuttle.

Historical marker.

Walk box is located at the Visitor's Center which the locals call "Log Cabin on the Bayou".

Inside the front door.

More of the inside.

Front Porch.

Getting registered to walk.

Walk starts off across the raised walkway
off the back porch of the Log Cabin.

In 1717 Father Antonio Márgil de Jesús established Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de los Ais Mission on Ayish Bayou.

Not sure what kind of trees these are.

St. Augustine Catholic Church
Current building circa 1937.

Ezekiel Cullen Home circa 1839.

First United Methodist Church
Second building for this church - completed in 1909.

Christ Church Episcopal
Second bulding for this church - completed in 1870.



Gov. Henderson home site.

Nice old car

Greek Revival circa 1847.

Pink Dogwood

1917 Victorian Home
Azalea Landscaping

Helen and Carol
under Japanese Fringe Tree

WPA Buildings on San Augustine High School Campus

Mural on school building.

Ed with more Azaleas

Memorial Presbyterian Church
oldest Presbyterian church in Texas
Present building circa 1887.

Wall appears to be CCC or WPA.

Angel on the Cartwright marker.

Old Town Jail
built in 1884 of native clay brick.

Old Town Well
click here for story on how it came to be
inside this building

Augus Theatre
operated from 1927 until 1972

Sam Houston Historical Marker

Ed, Helen and Carol.

Jail and Sheriff's Office

San Augustine County Courthouse.
This 1927 Classic Revival style
building is the county's third courthouse.

Gov. James Henderson

Ayish Bayou is spring fed.

Send Comments to: